The 23rd Wing is the host unit at Moody Air Force Base near Valdosta, Ga. The wing organizes, trains and employs combat-ready A-10C, HC-130P, HH-60G, pararescuemen, force protection assets and support personnel. The wing executes worldwide close air support, force protection and rescue forces to include combat search and rescue and personnel recovery in support of humanitarian interests, United States national security and worldwide contingency operations.
The wing's aircraft include the A-10C, HH-60G and HC-130P. The A-10C Thunderbolt II is the first Air Force aircraft specially designed for close air support of ground forces. The twin-engine jet aircraft can be used against all ground targets, including tanks and other armored vehicles.
The HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopter provides rescue forces to include a combat search and rescue and personnel recovery platform for the United States Air Force through its ability to operate in a vast array of rescue scenarios.
The HC-130P Combat King flies low-level missions into hostile territory to conduct rescues and to provide air refueling for our rescue helicopters.
The wing is comprised of six groups; five located at Moody AFB, Ga., and one at Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
The 23rd Mission Support and Medical Groups consist of 10 squadrons at Moody AFB, Ga.
The 23rd Maintenance Group consists of seven maintenance squadrons located at three geographic locations.
The 23rd Fighter Group consists of two A-10 squadrons and an operational support squadron. The 23rd Fighter Group became part of the 23rd Wing at Moody AFB, Ga., on Aug. 18, 2006.
The 347th Rescue Group is based at Moody AFB, Ga., and consists of one HH-60G rescue squadron, one HC-130P/N rescue squadron, one pararescue squadron and one operational support squadron.
The 563rd Rescue Group is based at Davis-Monthan, Ariz., with an operating location at Nellis AFB, Nev. The group consists of one HC-130 squadron, two HH-60 squadrons, two pararescue squadrons and one operational support squadron.
The wing employs approximately 5,500 military and civilian personnel, including geographically separated units in Arizona, Nevada and Florida.
The base was named in memory of Major George Putnam Moody, an early Army-Air Force pioneer killed in May 1941 while serving with the Beech Aircraft Company in Wichita, Kan. At the time of his death, the major was working on the inspection board for AT-10 transitional trainer aircraft which were later sent to Moody.
The base had its beginning in 1940 when a group of concerned Valdosta and Lowndes County citizens began searching for a way to assist the expanding defense program. The citizens rallied interest in the War Department for a 9,300-acre tract formerly known as the Lakeland Flatwoods Project, northeast of Valdosta. On May 14, 1941, the War Department was granted exclusive use of the land by the Agriculture Department.